Monday, May 6, 2013

End of the Year Geometry in Construction Overview


Kamille Williams
 Being a freshman I have an open future full of opportunity and option. "The world is my oyster", as Shakespeare would put it and I want to make of it, what I can; the best I can. Currently standing, I have a big job ahead of me to figure out specifically what I am going to do with my future and also, how I am going to accomplish it. Why am I telling you this? These are a few of my motivations to learn as much as I can during my high school experience and one of those experiences has already taken place! So, I'd like to share with you the great times and lessons that provided a pearl of wisdom for going into the world.

First, I would like to thank the couple who put themselves up to a challenge; The challenge of building a house and entrusting 100's of other people and may I add - teenagers! Robert and Carrie have some serious gut and stress coping skills! Also, I thank our teachers, Mrs. Larson and Mr. Burke and all of the P.D.T.'s who provided and guided the pieces together for this project. The House for Humanity Program gave me some great memories but more importantly, great REAL LIFE skills. Now I'll share some of the awesome times I had in this class during the last year.

One of our first activities in this class/program was aimed towards building team work and just simply bonding with the people we were expected to build a house with for the rest of the school year. Mr. Burke brought the class out into the parking lot and gave us all brief instructions and 1 minor rule. I remember him explaining that we had to all hold hands in a line, and at one end of our line there was a "head" and at the opposite end of our line, there was a "tail". The objective in this activity was for the tail to catch the head. As we all jumped to our competitive, winning streak, the head dashed in the most opposite direction in hopes of escaping the grasp of the tail. After about 2 minutes of sprinting, ducking, being dragged, and screaming, we were all up against each other, awkwardly stuck, wishing the "tail" would just catch the "head" already! When we had reached the point of hindered movement, Mr. Burke called us all out and told us to restart and if anyone had any advice or comments to make they were free to at that time, suggest anything to everyone. Most of everyone was quite the first couple of trials but slowly we reached a comfort zone. Someone would yell a strategy and someone else would shout an argument and still we continued to get no where. The hope of the tail catching the head in our long line of people was hopeless. As this resulted, after enough times to be fed up, we discovered that there were no rules! Also, we were all on the same team! Finally, we managed to walk, slowly, the head and tail together.

Another experience I had in (more specifically) the Construction side of our class involved learning how to shingle a roof. Sure, I learned how to hammer a nail, operate a hand saw safely, cut tile, cut pipe, cut dry wall, install windows and electric boxes but the procedure and job of shingling a roof was an exceptional assignment. Not only did we learn something that we might use if we ever roof a house, but we also had fun learning it!

Besides all of the crazy, fun experiences I've had with the people in this class, I really did gain some helpful knowledge about construction. In our first unit we were introduced to framing. We first had to become certified in table and hand saws then figure out how to hammer and square our walls. Later, we  put on shingles (as I mentioned above) and eventually we had to install windows. So I learned how to do both of these things properly. Some more general, common sense was gained, also. Like, how to drive a screw, hammer a nail, cut wood, and paint. I'm sure everyone in the program can relate; they may also be able to relate to learning how to efficiently improvise. I know that for a fact every person learned from whatever job they were given in which they had to improvise. I can recall working with Robert on tiling the shower and we had to improvise when we realized we didn't have a curve saw to cut the semi-circle we needed. So we just cut differently and managed just fine. I don't regret taking this class and being involved with the program. It made many friends and memories.  

                

This was another part of Geometry I enjoyed. The Rosie the Riveter Club!

















1 comment:

  1. Your format is cool and the overall blog looks really good!

    ReplyDelete